National Science Foundation’s CAREER Awards
What is the NSF CAREER Award Program?
Junior faculty members at WVU have an opportunity to pursue a helpful professional development award program sponsored by the National Science Foundation known as the Faculty Early Career Development Program or CAREER Program. CAREER is supported by all directorates at NSF. Earning a CAREER award is considered a very prestigious step for faculty members.
- CAREER Awards are given for 5 years rather than the usual NSF 3-year award
- CAREER Award applicants compete only against other junior faculty members, not against more senior and experienced researchers
- CAREER Awards specifically require applicants to integrate research with teaching
Who is eligible to apply for an NSF CAREER Award?
- Hold a doctoral degree
- Are untenured
- Have never received a previous CAREER or NSF Presidential Early Career Awards for Scientists and Engineers (PECASE) Award and
- Are employed in a tenure-track position as an assistant professor
2012 NSF CAREER Award Proposal Workshop
Learn More about it and how to participate, in our Special Notices section about the current NSF CAREER Award Proposal Workshop